Friday, August 28, 2015

Just what is College Ave Stitchers?

I'm sure some of you have asked yourself this very question.  It is a group of yarn crafters - knitters, crocheters, loom knitters - anyone who works with yarn, thread, fiber OR someone who wants to learn.

We meet the 1st Saturday of each month at the College Avenue Library located at 4180 N College Ave in Indianapolis from 11:30-1:30.

These are some of our regular attendees. 
   

We bring in things that we've made to show off. 
For those who are interested, we have a Yarn Lottery.  To participate, bring a full skein of yarn from a pet and smoke free environment.  Those who do will have their name entered into the drawing and one lucky person leaves each month with new yarn. 
I provide instructions for FREE and each participant needs to bring their own supplies.

What supplies? May be your next question.  That depends on what you want to learn.  For KNITTING I would suggest  size 8 or larger knitting needles and a light, solid colored #4 yarn.
For CROCHETING I would suggest a size H or larger hook and a light, solid colored #4 yarn.

For patterns, I always recommend checking out books from the library before buying them. Children's books are good ones to start with.  You can also get free patterns from yarn labels, yarn websites and  displays in most craft store yarn departments.

One of the things some of us will be doing this fall and winter is making items to donate.  I will donate blankets and hats to the Wheeler Mission.  If you're intimidated by knitting or crocheting a whole blanket you can make blocks and then join them to make a blanket.  We collect knit and crochet blocks at Michaels (where I teach knit and crochet classes for a fee) as part of Warm Up America!  I have donated several blankets that I've joined to University Hospital but will start giving them to Wheeler Mission.
Kitted and crocheted blocks 
Joined into strips

Finshed blanket

Lap blanket I made from leftover yarn

If you have any questons feel free to send me an email at UntangledStitcher@gmail.com

We would love to have you join our friendly, welcoming group!
~Denise



No comments:

Post a Comment