On Saturday, March 28th, I had the opportunity to be the featured artist at the Pike Library Branch Saturday Sampler!
They invite different artists to give library patrons hands on experiences with different creative and artistic mediums. I led an activity in Cardboard Weaving.
This is an activity that all ages can participate in and in a few minutes they will have a completed product. A 9 year old young man who at first didn't want to participate made 4 and told me it was fun. His 8 year old brother created his works of art using the letters in his name. I especially enjoy when parents and children create, discuss and share with each other.
I like to show people that they can use inexpensive and readily available materials to create unique items.
I also share with people that weaving, knitting and crocheting are fun and creative activities that benefit children and adults in a variety of ways.
Improvement is noted in:
* Fine motor coordination
* Eye-hand coordination
* Reinforces following directions
* Critical thinking and problem solving
* Offers a relaxing, tactile experience
* Helps increase focus and attention span
And in my experiences, I find that boys tend to pick up these activities quicker than girls. I think it's due to video game playing. Even the wiggliest child (or adult) will sit still to create once they figure out how it all works.
- Michaels @ Avon - Class Schedule & Projects w/ Pictures
- College Ave Stitchers
- Flava Fresh! 12 - 2015-2016
- CYC Level II Knit & Crochet Certification
- KNIT Helpful Hints
- CROCHET Helpful Hints
- Warm Up America!
- Knitted Log Cabin Quilt
- 2015 Meet the Artists XXVII "Art with Passion"
- Studio B CreativExchange
- Fiber Tales, 2014
- Flava Fresh 11 2014-2015
- The Colors of OUR Lives: Yarn Art Inspired by the Motherland
- MY knit ~ Finished!
- MY crochet ~ Finished!
- Yarn bombing project at the College Avenue Library
- Yarn & Needle Night @ Haughville Library
Monday, March 23, 2015
In order to catch my breath and re-organize my knit and crochet business, I have decided not to take any orders for the month of April.
I will STILL teach and am also using this time off to complete level 2 of my Knit and Crochet Certification.
I am excited to be participating in 3 upcoming local events.
1. March 28th I will participate in Saturday Samplers at the Pike Library Branch. I've decided to teach cardboard weaving. I will provide all of the supplies.
2. The Great Birdhouse Challenge is a fundraiser that benefits Partners in Housing Indy. It begins with online voting for birdhouses that have been decorated by artists. The top 25 will then be featured in a silent auction.
|The first time I've shown pictures of my knit yarn bombed house|
I'm also working on a few other ventures but one of the things that I've learned in the past 5 months is to make sure that all of the details are worked out before I get too excited about an opportunity.
I have updated my Michaels class schedule for April - June so be sure to click on the calendar to the right as well as the Michaels @ Avon - Class Schedule & Projects w/Pictures tab above to see the projects. There are some NEW ones.
AND April marks 3 years that I've been teaching at Michaels :)