Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Designed by Denise Smith

As I typed and edited the written portion of my Craft Yarn Council Level II Knit & Crochet Certified Instructors Program, I was able to include "Designed by Denise Smith".  The 10th assignment was to design and write an original sweater pattern, with sleeves.

  







Crocheted Sweater    Knitted Sweater

I have to admit, when I completed Level I of the Certification Program had no desire or interest in desigining and writing patterns. But over the years I've often knit or crocheted items just by looking at a picture.  I've also made things "freehand".

I would write notes in case I wanted to make those items again. But it's very different to write a pattern that (1) will be evaluated by a Master Teacher or (2) made by another person.  There are so many details to be included, that is if the designer wants it to be a pattern easily understood by others.  Did you know that some designers use 'pattern testers'?  I tried once to test a pattern for a designer but I wasn't chosen.  Some pay money and some let the tester keep the finished item along with any leftover yarn.

I'm not sure if I want to make these patterns available for others.  My hesitation is (1) because the sweaters were custom made for one of my daughters so the size isn't a typical one,  (2) I only wrote the patterns in one size which limits potential customers and (3) I'm not sure that I want to answer a lot of questions when it comes to people trying to make the sweaters.  I've found free patterns on blogs and read some of the questions that people ask.  I guess if the pattern is written well enough to anticipate potential problems the questions should be fewer.  It probably wouldn't be much different than answering questions when I'm teaching a knit or crochet class.

My Master Teacher has asked that I wait until after September 2nd to mail the box to her but it will all be finished and ready today.

I'm typing the patterns from my notes (I wrote as I knit and crocheted), making sure that I've completed everything on the assignment checklists, and getting it all packed up and ready to go.

For more information about the Craft Yarn Council (CYC) Certified Instructors Program (CIP) check out the Craft Yarn Council's website.

Level I - Certified Instructor
Level II - Certified Teacher
Level III - Professional

So will I continue on to become a Master Knit and Crochet Teacher?  You never know ;)
~Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment