Monday, August 4, 2014

If it doesn't fit, you must unstitch!


The original size before being mounted
That's exactly what I had to do for my latest piece.  I originally made it with 16 Daisy Squares and the canvas was 48 x 48 inches.  Well, that's just a little too big to fit into my Rav4, even with the back seats down.  So I had several choices... Not have it in the show, find someone with a bigger vehicle or make it smaller.  I chose to make it smaller. That meant running to Hobby Lobby on Saturday because they're closed on Sunday to get smaller stretcher bars.  Then the piece had to be taken off of the larger canvas.  I chose to make an all new canvas which meant buying more burlap. I didn't want to take any chances of the burlap tearing and me not having enough.  I decided to make the canvas 38 x 40 inches which meant removing 7 of the squares.  I had to remove the edging first.  Once I had it down to 9 squares, I had to re-do the edging and mount it to the new canvas.  I like how it turned out and now it fits in my car.  I measured several times and put it in before I mounted the piece to be sure.

One square
4 squares combined
I named this piece "Imagine...".  The theme for the location is Peace and to me that can be in many forms.  I wanted to show that this one piece can look different depending on how you look at it.  Just like peace means different things to different people.

This is the 3rd in a series of 5 exhibitions for the FLAVA FRESH XI, 2014-2015 Art Show. The location is at The  Indiana Interchurch Center in Indianapolis. The Artists Reception will be held on Friday, August 8 from 6-8 pm.  It is a FREE and family friendly event.  It is open to the public and offers a chance to meet the artists. There are also refreshments :)
The gold flecks don't show up in the picture
My assistants
So now what to do with the leftover squares?  I'm thinking a nice shoulder bag.  I'll post pictures when I finish it.

The lesson in all of this... don't make anything bigger than will fit in your car!
~Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment