Sunday, June 16, 2013

Woo saaaaaaa!

My life is busy and crazy again, but I'm working on making it more manageable.  How you may ask?  Well, I'm putting me first. That means eating better and working out more regularly, both of which help me to sleep better.   I have health issues (don't we all) that I thought would put an end to my working out but I found out I'm just as sore and stiff if I don't work out as when I do.  So with my doctor(s) blessings, I've started running again.  I ran years ago but when you're told you have maybe 3 different types of arthritis, you (I) thought that meant my life would now be spent sitting and watching others.  Nope! So I've started running again.  I'm taking it slow and following a program (couch to 5k) that prepares you to run a k5 in 8 weeks.  I'm on week 2 and still feeling good.  I'm even planning to run a 5k in September to celebrate my 53rd birthday!

I wanted to do something else that would be easier on my joints so I found an Aqua Zumba class!  The first time was sooo much fun and  I proved that you don't have to be able to swim or even  dance to do this class!  I don't normally like group exercise classes but this one was different. There were women of different sizes, ages, colors and abilities.  So the plan is to walk/run 3 times a week and do the Aqua Zumba 2-3 times a week. Working out helps me to focus and settles some of my energy.  I've also found out that even if  I'm in pain when I first start, once I'm walking, running or moving in the pool, I don't feel any pain.  I do lots of stretching and I like using a stability ball, it seems like the stretches are better that way.

I'm also working to finish some already started projects before starting new ones.  I have been presented with some great opportunities and I want to have a clear head and plate so I can give them my all!  I'm working on saying no to some things (and people) or at least not volunteering to take on so much.  In addition to some recent invitations to be involved with other artists and businesswomen on ventures that they're involved in, I was recently accepted into the Indiana Librarians Leadership Academy!  Another great opportunity for me.

We're still waiting for the 2nd grandson of the summer to make his appearance, he should be here this week though.  As blessed and busy as my life is, I know that putting my health first will allow me to continue to do the many things that I want to do with my family and for myself.  I hope that you all realize the same thing too and take better care of yourselves!

It also helps to laugh and have a good time so I'm sharing this not so flattering picture of myself.  My daughter and I along with other library staff walked in the 500 Festival Parade with the Clifford The Big Red Dog Balloon in May.  I was able to get in a little walking, a lot of standing and had a good time.   Waving and carrying a 45 foot balloon are not as easy as they look! But we had a good time
~Denise




No comments:

Post a Comment